Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What Do You Say?

If you've been in the workforce for any length of time, you've probably had more than one job.  For example, once upon a time I was a real estate paralegal and once upon another time I work in a recruiting firm.

Because of my background working in law firms, I was hired as a recruiter specializing in office support personnel. One day a client called.  They needed help finding a real estate paralegal. This was a MAJOR area law firm and the paralegal would report to one of the senior partners in the firm.  Part of the unofficial job description was, "they need to walk on water".

In my search, I contacted everyone I knew in the field and when I came up empty, extended my search to law firms outside of the city.  I finally found one legal secretary who said she knew just the person.

She said the person she was thinking of had one of the best reputations in the field. She went on and on about this person and how there was no one better suited for the job I described.

She said she the individual had left the legal field a few months before and although she didn't know where she had gone or what she was doing, she did know that she could get in touch with her mother who worked at the Registry of Deeds.

I thanked her for her time, gave her my number and hung up the phone.  Then I sat there stunned.  The woman was talking about me.

That phone call made a huge impression on me.  It taught me several things including to always do and be your best because you don't know who is noticing.

The view from Laurel Mountain today is -- actions speak volumes.

Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment