Friday, August 31, 2012

Think Small To Grow Big



Forgive me Mr. Lincoln for taking the liberty with one of your quotes when I say, “you cannot please all of the people all of the time”.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  I tried to please every customer who came into my shop.
Consumers today are accustom to having unlimited choices.  Just walk down the cereal or candy isle in any supermarket.  There have to be 50 different “cola” drinks and hundreds of different “chocolate” candies.  A small shop can’t compete and I decided that I wasn’t going to continue to try.
I’m not saying you should ignore your customers’ requests.   After all, they are the reason you are in business but, there are times when it makes more sense to forgo the sale.
Instead of expanding my business to capture more clients, like a big box store, I chose to become more specialized, like a boutique. I work more with a select group of individuals and busy professionals who appreciate the quality and convenience that my service provides and have come to trust me and rely on my expertise. Now my clients get even more personalized service and better pricing than before.

The view from Laurel Mountain today is … grow it your way.
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment